Thursday, May 8, 2008

Bartender of the Month Mary Malak

This article was originally posted in the SWFL Parrot issue August 2007

Wow….
Never have I had so much support to name a certain person bartender of the month….what a following!
Without further hesitation let me introduce Mary Malak.
I must confess I’ve mentioned Mary before in my very first article because she was phenomenal from the very first day I met her. I was steered there by Big Mike months ago and I must confess I was a little apprehensive to name her as bartender of the month because I was afraid I was showing favoritism...after all, we live in the bartender capital of the US and there are so many to choose from…but…there’s something about Mary! The respect that she gets among her fellow workers, her peers and her customers overcame any silly reason I could muster not to honor her skills.
And now… since I only have a limited space…her story.
Mary… the bartender at the Blue Parrot at Treasure Lanes…. Wow!
Ask any barfly what makes a great bartender…Service? I have NEVER lacked for a beer at this establishment….EVER. That includes a packed bar, three deep. When it gets busy, this girl can dial it up a notch… Personality? This gal is as quick with a joke as I am….and I like to think I’m pretty quick…best part is she enjoys hearing the jokes as much as telling them. You will not find her without a smile and a great attitude. She is fun with a capital F. Creativity? I love the fact that from week to week, you never know what she will come up with next.This transplant from Staten Island, which she calls “the other island”, is such a breath of positivity that there is no way that you can’t get drawn in. She loves her regulars because “we watch out for each other”. Having spent 18 years training in the clubs of Manhattan, she enjoys Port Charlotte because of the connections that she’s made with her regulars. She knows that these locals will keep her busy through the summer when times are lean. She told me she never wanted the coldness of the big clubs in New York and relishes the chance to get “personal” with the people she serves. At the end of the interview, when I asked her if she wanted me to add anything…she said …with a smile…”I’d like to thank the little people who made this possible”. I know she was being light hearted, but she DOES appreciate us little people who appreciate her. She made the comment to me that people go to a bar for roughly 3 reasons….to socialize, to escape, or to vent…and it seems it takes a good bartender to realize the difference between the three. Some people need attention, some need space and some need an ear…she does a great job with all three and knowing which is which. THAT is why she deserves to be bartender of the month.
Mary was quick to give props to her family. Her husband Robert of 13 years and her children Leo, Greg, and Dina and 7 year old rottweiler Brandy are the support system which allows her to come to work happy every day. When I asked her what she does when not at the bar she gave me only one answer...I enjoy my time spent with my family! She told me the move back to Port Charlotte from NYC was for them. She wanted her family to grow up away from the crime of the city and the memories of 9/11. She wanted that change of lifestyle for her kids.
Mary has been tending bar at the Blue Parrot for 5 years and has a great history there. The owners “threatened” me (not really!) to make sure I wrote a flattering piece. I know they were just being protective because Mary is one of their own…but honestly, I don’t think anyone who knows her could say anything bad about her. I think she is a great bartender because there is no hidden agenda with her. With her, what you see is what you get. Sincerity has to be respected…it is after all, so rare, especially in a bartender.
I did get to hear some funny stories as the night went on…. like why she wears the cowboy hat. Apparently when she first got the job, she was replacing a long-time favorite and wanted to make a good impression. Unfortunately it was a bad hair day, so she decided to wear her Xmas present cowboy hat to cover it up. It was a success and became a Friday tradition. It has since led to boots and a “holstered” bottle opener. She did admit that she’s not really “coyote ugly” because she can’t flip bottles and the ceiling is too low to dance on the bar, but she is a “city girl in a cowboy outfit”. Apparently the story is that whenever she buys new boots, it’s a busy bar night! The owners have volunteered to buy her new boots anytime she wants!
Oh… and one more thing…. This little filly reads Tarot cards. She’s been doing it for 7 years. She reads mine every Friday night on Men’s night…and…she’s pretty dead on…just ask my friends!!!
You can find Mary behind the bar at Treasure Lanes on RT 41 in Port Charlotte Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday, 3PM to close and Friday night 5-close, where you will almost ALWAYS see me! It’s Men’s night! Come in and get your cards read and say hello to one of our favorite bartenders… Mary Malak!!!
Don’t forget that we here at the Parrot encourage YOU to nominate your favorite person for Bartender of the Month! There are plenty of places to go and people for us to meet and we love going out and about! You can e-mail me your suggestions to dave@swflparrot.com and send me somewhere new to meet your favorite barkeep! As for this month, stop and see Mary at the Blue Parrot and tell her I sent ya…. trust me…you won’t be disappointed!

No comments: