Thursday, May 8, 2008

Bartender of the Month Kristine Lidinsky

This article was published in the October issue of the SWFL Parrot


Okay bartender fans; are we ready for the bartender of the month for October? Well…are we? I can’t hear you! I said I can’t hear you!
How’s that for hype... and the envelope please… from the great bar on Tamiami Trail in Port Charlotte Florida… Boomers…without further delay, we present Kristine Lidinsky ... (applause).
Maybe we picked Kris because she’s been a bartender at Boomers since before it was Boomers? Maybe we picked her because she has mad bartending skills? Maybe we picked her because she’s a fixture at one of the town’s best bars? Actuality… we picked her because she has a blue and gold macaw just like Beaker! Okay, all of the above are true. Personally I like her because of her sense of humor and positive demeanor. I liked her from the first day I met her. For those of you who know me, I have an interesting nickname… Fungus. Many people don’t know how to take this nickname but I am proud to have it. You see, it was given to me by the cutest little Miss Hibiscus to ever land on this earth. Her name is Alex and she just turned 7. When she was just learning to talk she christened me Uncle Fungus after a character in Ice Age. It has since spawned some interesting moments such as at crowded airports having a child yell for Uncle Fungus at the gate or at a bar having a regular give me a second look and say “what did she call you????” Well, when I first met Kris I was introduced by my brother in law (Alex’s daddy) as Fungus. The next time I met her she had forgotten the nickname but knew it was odd so she then gave me a worse nickname (if that’s possible) and I am now known to her as Puke.
Okay now for the specifics. Kris has been bartending since she was 18 and is originally from Chicago (maybe that’s why she works so well at Boomers, which is a Bears bar). She is happily married to her husband Wayne and has three kids, Christopher, Dakota, and Chenoa. She has 5 birds, 4 dogs, and 4 cats all of which have been adopted or rescued. She has been in Port Charlotte for 15 years, having moved to Florida after spending her vacations here as a child. She told me that when she used to come here she would see the “old people walking on the beach” and knew that someday that would be her. Personally I think she has a long way to go before anyone would call her “old”.
Kris has been at Boomers for over 10 years and loves the family atmosphere. Two of her kids have worked behind the bar at Boomers as well and her son’s engagement party was thrown there. Gus and Andy even catered the wedding. She loves the fact that Boomers is not an “in and out” type of work environment. They are family and treated that way. She likes that the core of workers has remained the same for years and years, and had nothing but good things to say about everyone she works with.
In her spare time away from the bar, Kris likes to cook, go to the beach and shop. I must say that she is among the best dressed bartenders that I know. There is no “uniform” at Boomers and it’s nice to see the creativity with which she and the other ‘tenders dress. I definitely think it helps add to the friendly atmosphere there.
Kris has worked at several other places throughout the county, all of which have since closed. She is quick however to point out that she is not a job hopper and those establishments closing was in no way because of her! Anyone who has met her would have to agree, because she is friendly enough to have her own following. I have seldom seen her without a smile on her face or in a down mood. She is always quick to strike up a conversation and quick with a one liner. When I asked her for some funny stories she said she had plenty but didn’t know if any were repeatable! She did tell me one of them and I’m not repeating it!
You will find Kris behind the bar every day but Wednesday and Sunday. She said that she put her time in and has graduated to not having to work on football Sundays. Anyone who has been in Boomers for a Bears or Bills game can understand what she means. Stop in and see her and tell her I said hi!
…and remember… you can nominate any bartender for Bartender of the Month by e-mailing me at dave@swflparrot.com. I love meeting new bartenders and traveling to new bars! If you’re trying to get your bartender in as BOTM maybe you should tell them to give me a new disgusting nickname? Thanks Kris and believe me, it’s always been all my pleasure!!! So long from Puke.

No comments: